Tales of a New Marriage

March 1, 2021

Grace Bianco here. I have been married for fifty days.

The morning started off with my husband waking me up at 6:30am by opening our extremely loud bedroom door.

I turned to him sleepily and asked, “Did you find out your night off?”

“Yes, it’s Wednesday night.”

He was probably expecting a “Good morning” or “How are you?”, but I was so tired. I needed to hurry and ask him before I falling back asleep. I had been dying to know his night off since he started. I needed something to look forward to.

I still managed to tell him I loved him before falling back into a deep sleep but this time in my husband’s arms.

I woke up at 10:30.

I got ready, and I went to the grocery store again. I needed to get more things that we could actually live off of instead of just junk food.

It seemed as though we wouldn’t be finding another place to stay. I would just have to live with no wifi. I began planning on going to the library to catch up on posting blogs. This is supposed to be my time to truly focus on my writing, and I refuse to let no wifi stop me.

When I got back from the store, I realized I forgot cheese. I hopped back in the car. It’s not like I had a whole lot to do anyways.

I read and wrote. I may not be able to post like I was, but I am still writing away.

My husband woke up closer to 4pm.

I watch the clock like a hawk these days, if you can’t tell lol.

We caught each other up on everything, and before we knew it, it was time for him to leave.

Once he left, I decided to do a little at-home workout. I figured moving around would be good for me.

After eating and showering, I decided to start meal prepping for my husband. I cooked up some chicken tenderloins, fast and easily. I was also going to make mac and cheese as his side. I had gotten a homemade mac and cheese recipe from my dad. My dad always made it for big holidays, and it always seemed to be a huge hit.

I am lactose intolerant and not used to cooking with dairy. I was so careful with the measurements, and following the recipe exactly.

Since we currently live in an airbnb, our supplies are limited. I was using tupperware that we had brought to mix my ingredients. I had to hand cut the two blocks of cheese into small shreds. I searched and searched the kitchen for the best baking dish. I ended up using a stainless steel pan.

After the hour was up, the kitchen smelled so good, like buttery baked cheese. I opened the oven excited to see bubbly and cooked mac and cheese.

My heart dropped. I took the mac and cheese out of the oven. The noodles weren’t cooked hardly at all. I read and reread my dad’s text. I searched for any error I might have made. There were none. Maybe, the pan had been a tiny bit to big, but even that, I wasn’t so sure could have ruined the macaroni.

I was flustered, and grabbed the pan handle to exam it more, forgetting it had just been in the oven for an hour.

I grabbed my hand in pain, and ran to run cold water on it. My eyes teared up.

I texted my dad, and told him. He didn’t understand why it had gone so wrong either.

I was frustrated. It was past eight. The house was empty and dark. I stood in the middle of the kitchen staring at my fail with my hand burning. I knew I would hit my breaking point eventually.

Tears were forming again. I just wanted to be home. I wanted to be home in my kitchen, where I knew where everything was / had everything I needed. I wanted to be home with my husband and have a normal life again.

I wiped my eyes and with them my self pity.

“At least, you’re in a position to travel with him. It could be worse,” I told myself.

I decided to do everything I could to save the mac and cheese.

I found a little glass bowl and scooped mac and cheese into it. I put some water in it. I cooked it in the microwave until the noodles had soaked up the water. I did this over and over until all the noodles were cooked.

Some noodles were still rather chewy, but for the most part, I was able to save the mac and cheese.

By the time I was done, it was 10:30pm. I patted myself on the back. I had a little breakdown, but I pushed it away by myself. I was still able to get it all done.

I ended the night reading some more and watching the rest of “Hidden Figures”. I stayed up a little after 1:15. That would mean I would sleep in even later with my husband in the morning.

That was my day… How was yours?

See you tomorrow!! Until then, follow me on instagram @ gracekbianco for more!!



Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
Grace Bianco

Grace Bianco

I am the author of “Party Pooper: Growing up with Anxiety.” I love oversharing my life. I talk about my faith, marriage, mental health, and anything in between.